Woodpecker 10(0)1

Professor Yaffle


Woodpeckering my way through 1001 chess puzzles in 2021






One of my goals for 2021 is to finally try out the Woodpecker Method. It’s been something I’ve wanted to do for a while - all the more so since I read Chess Atlas’s blog on his experiences with it.

Following the suggested approach from the Smith/Tikkanen book, which is well worth reading for the philosophy and thinking behind the system, I’m going to go for the this structure:-


Cycle 1:

Solve as many positions as I can in four weeks. However many that turns out to be becomes my study set.


Cycle 2:

Repeat the set in two weeks.


Cycle 3:

Repeat the set in one week.


Cycle 4:

Repeat the set in four days.


Cycle 5:

Repeat the set in two days.


Cycle 6:

Repeat the set in one day.



That’s a total of eight weeks which will become nine when you factor in a day’s break between cycles - another suggestion from S&T.


My - arbitrarily selected and subject to revision - target is to get a set of 200 to 250 puzzles for the first set.


I then intend to repeat the whole thing four or five times to reach my ultimate aim of Woopeckering 1000+ positions by the end of the year.



I suppose the logical thing to have done would be to use the Woodpecker book itself for my study positions. In fact - for reasons that I’m not sure I can explain other than I just happened to feel like it - I’ve gone for 1001 Chess Exercises for Club Players by Frank Erich. I’ve had this on Chessable for a while but have not systematically worked through it before.


I started on New Year’s day. Every Wednesday I’ll be jotting down a few thoughts on how I’ve been getting on. I’ve already realised I’ve made a few mistakes with how I approached things. I’ll leave that for next time though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Chess