Blindfold Endgame Visualisation 3/50


#03 Drtina, 1908



This week I can score one for pattern recognition. I haven’t looked it up but I’m certain I saw this position in Pandolfini’s Endgame Course. Or something very like it anyway. If memory serves Brucie had the set up on the other side of the board.


Anyway, that’s another one down.


This week's blindfold tip is more of a question: are you trying to see "pictures"? By which I mean, are you trying to see in your minds eye what you'd be looking at with your real ones if you had a board and pieces in front of you.


I find that difficult to be honest. I started making progress with blindfold work when I stopped trying to have an image in my updated every time I considered a piece move. Instead what I do now is mostly is try to think it rather than imagine it.


So I might say to myself something like, "OK, my king goes here, his there, me here, him there, me here ... can he go to c5 now? Where's my pawn. It's on b4 so c5 would be check. No good. OK, he'll have to go to c6 or c4..."


I don't know this is the best way, but it certainly seems to work better for me.




OUTCOME: Solved


RUNNING TOTAL: 3/3

Comments

  1. Think I'm progressing as you are. I know the key squares in single-pawn endings and am able to identify plans. Then it's a question of calculation to verify the plans but I'm not doing this by visualising the board in my head. I'm doing it by logic, like you.

    I'm wondering if this a helpful - or necessary in some way - step towards blindfold visualisation or not?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Chess