BtM 27A: Into the valley of chess

July 1988, Position C


White to play
Rohde - Whitehead US Championship 1987

Contributions to the comments box are welcome. I’ll reply with what the Masters have to say about their choice to anybody who suggests a move.

Scroll down to see some commentary from me and the Masters’ feedback.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Alternatives to the right of us, alternatives to the left of us ….

In contrast to BtM 26, in today’s position there’s no end of moves that leave White with a decent, probably winning, game.

I gave HIARCS a little while to think of it and at 20 ply it spits back at least 15 moves which it thinks are +1.5 or better*. Including such gems as 1 Bd2 and 1 Bd1.

Which, I mention en passant, just goes to show that you have to be careful when analysing with computers. They’ll tell you a price of a move but not its value.

Or maybe I’m just a bit crosspatch because none of those 15 moves are the one I chose.




Norwood: "1 Rxd6. Nice and easy."

Levitt: "1 Rxd6. Looks winning."


I spent nearly all my time on the exchange sac.


BOTTERILL: "1 Rxd6?! only works if Black takes it …."

My engine begs to differ, George, but anyway even I worked out that 1 … Bxe4 is the critical response.

As is often the case, my choice of what is essentially a decent move was based on a miscalculation. Here’s the key line. White is definitely winning at the end of it, but there’s an enormous tactical hole. As a visualisation exercise can you see it?



1 Rxd6 Bxe4, 2 Rd4 Bxb4, 3 Rxe4 Bd6, 4 Rxe5 Bxe5, 5 Bg4+ Kd8, 6 Rxb8+ Ke7, 7 Rxb7+ +-

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


POINTS
10: Bxd6
8:  Rxd6
5:  c4, Ba3
2:  Bc3, f3

MASTERS
Bxd6: Plaskett, Flear, P. Littlewood, Pein, Botterill, Horner
Rxd6: Norwood, Levitt, Howell, J. Littlewood, S. Arkell
c4:   Conquest
Ba3:  Martin
Bc3:  NOVAG Super Expert

SOURCE
Bxd6 Rohde - Whitehead, US Championship 1987






* This very concrete description with its very specific numbers - 15, 20, 1.5 - is very much the parlance of our times. I was going to continue with 'in the old days we’d have said …." but there is no equivalent. We just didn’t have the same chess language back then.

Comments

  1. From MATT's comment from yesterday:
    "1. Rxd6 jumped out at me and looks like it could actually work. If Black takes then 1...Bxd6 2.Bxd6 Nd7 3.Bg4 seems to win."

    "wins" - NORWOOD


    "... or something like 1...Bxe4 2.Rd4 Bxb4 3.Rxe4 and I think White's doing well."

    "wins" - NORWOOD
    "how? - Ed"

    Your engine will show you the way - but as mentioned in the post there's a problem with my line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howell gives 4 c4!?, btw, which is not the engine's choice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Chess